mercredi 5 juin 2013

i have a thing for babies

{copyright World Vision, photographer Matthew Paul Turner}In any crowd, my eyes find them. I flirt and I peek-a-boo behind their mother, they hide their faces in her neck, giggling. It is in my genetic makeup, I’m sure of it. The cheeks, the large eyes, the nubbin chins, the pursed lips, the uncreased skin, the chubby limbs. O, my heart.I must smile and connect with them; I long to affirm their beauty and tell them that they are loved.{copyright World Vision, photographer Matthew Paul Turner}On our plane from Dubai, there was a girl OBrother’s age a couple of rows ahead of me. She slept on her parents’ shoulders for most of the 13 hour flight, but when we arrived she perked up. “Dadadadada!”I looked around for OBrother. It sounded just exactly like him.I smile at their whines and cries, empathizing with their parents. I quite literally ache to touch or hold one, but the right opportunity hasn’t arisen. I pray that it will.{copyright World Vision, photographer Matthew Paul Turner}And like I do with OBrother (and OBoy), I want the best for them. I am processing this week that my boys will grow up feeling that the future is theirs to shape but so many children around the world, so many babies I will see this week, do not feel that way. They do not feel that way yet. Imagine the affirmation that comes from someone connecting with them – in a crowd, in a letter – and telling them that they are valued. They are loved. They have a future. That is what I am here to tell babies this week through my smiles and for O, through my sponsorship.Will you tell a child that, too, through World Vision child sponsorship?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire